Version 2 of Moebius is finally downloadable.
I have uploaded the image yesterday on the sourceforge area (see download link here), it’s working and it’s a really minimal image as I promised months before. If you need a basic and running distro without frills maybe this could be your favorite one.
Here are some release notes:
- Minimum requirement is a 128Mb SD (or MicroSD) card, bigger is better but 128Mb is big enough. In these days I cannot find this kind of SD cards in any local store, I used the one you see in the image because I got it from an acient mobile phone. Moebius runs fine in it even if maybe you’d like to have more space for your own stuff
- Raspberry Pi, whatever version. I tested it on: Model A, B (256/512Mb) and works fine. I don’t have A+ or B+ versions available so I’m really glad if you can send me some feedback on them. If you want to make me a donation I’ll surely test and make it working on them (mail me, or use the support area)
- Output console messages are redirected to standard video out, HDMI or Composite video. You won’t see output on serial console because if you use it for something else it could be noisy to see dmesg output, but if you prefer serial there’s a boot parameter to use for it. Output is not so polished or fancy like in other distributions, this is a little bit slack but it’s fine for me to see what the board does
- This OS will start nicely in 20Mb of RAM (with ssh service running), you’ll be happy to use the remaining part for your favorite apps, I’m planning to use it for my own robots so free ram space is useful for speech recognition or other cool stuff (opencv)
- Moebius has its own repository, it’s small in this moment but it’s between 5000-6000 packages, and it’s growing. I’m now focusing on “base tools” that are common for every developer: GCC, Python, binutils, C++ and few more. There’s no web servers or other languages but please just wait for a while and you’ll see them, if you prefer to have some packages before others just let me know, I’m adding packages based upon requests.
- I’m planning to complete the full python3 package support, later on I’ll add php, nginx, camera stuff (mjpeg-streamer, photo boot, …) and OpenCV.
- There’s a complete CHANGELOG in the download area, take a look at it for more details
I’m looking forward to hear your feedback, it’s very important for me to understand how this distro works and where it should be improved.
In the next days I’ll surely rewrite parts of the documentation area, as usual write me your comments if there’re missing parts or if there’s something that is still unclear. Grammar is really important but I’m not a native english speaker so please don’t be upset for errors, just mail me and I’ll surely correct errors where needed.
Glad to read your comments on it